12.11.2008

AUTHOR POST: Update schedule

Hello again, Dear Readers! Thanks to all of you who weighed in on my Reader Poll a while back! I really appreciate the feedback, especially the hand-written (typed) comments. If you haven't yet voted and would like to, please feel free to do so! I'll probably keep the poll open through the year's end. (Just don't vote more than once, please.)

Now for the new order of business: Updates. The majority of you said you would like for me to continue updating once a day, which I've done successfully for 40 straight days now! (Woohoo! This makes me happy.) However, since the craziness of NaNoWriMo is officially over, the last ten days have just been my own personal craziness, and it's... kind of a lot.

I wish I could update every day! I wish I could have three stories to update every day! But unfortunately I have a paycheck to earn, and when I get done doing that for the day, I have house things to do like laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. Also, free time is nice, such as reading blogs, socializing with friends, and watching movies. So on days when I work (which has been Monday-Friday lately), I usually don't even start writing for Bernice's diary until 9 or 10 at night. This means I stay up past midnight, then get up early for work the next morning. And then do it all over again.

Somehow, miraculously, this has worked for the past 40 days! But I'm afraid I'm going to get burnt out if I keep it up too much longer. I'm no longer facing public humiliation now that November is over (I ended my "novel" at 590 words above the 50,000 word goal, if you're curious) so really I'm doing this just for the joy of doing it.

So it needs to remain a joy, and not a chore. Even when it was, occasionally, a chore, I still had fun with it! But I think the fun would increase if I didn't write quite so much, quite so often. I could plan a little better and a little further in the story, take my time to make each entry the best it can be for your personal enjoyment, and make the tale all together a more pleasant way to spend ten minutes of your day.

To make a short story long: I'm cutting back the updates a little. Bernice will now post 4 new diary entries per week instead of 7, and I'm going to aim at updating Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If this works for a while, I might add another day on there eventually (likely Monday), but I'm going to try Thu-Sun first and see how that goes.

Each day I post will still be one day in Bernice's life. So when I don't post Monday through Wednesday, you won't have missed three days of Bernice's adventures. Thursday's entry will pick up where Sunday's left off.

Does all of that make sense? Sorry for my long-windedness, it's late at night and I'm a little sleep-deprived, as I said. So off to bed with me! Offer feedback in the comments if you'd like. I'm very glad you're still reading this madness after more than a month of it! And I hope you'll stick with me (and Bernice) as the adventures continue. Here's to another fabulous 40 days!

No comments:

All content appearing on this blog belongs solely to Heather Layne, 2008.